Sunday, April 6, 2014

Review: Pilot Hi-Tec-C in Black, Blue, & Red - 0.28mm



Overall Look 9
Writing Smoothness 8
Overall Value 6
Overall Rating 8

Finally opened these Hi-Tec-C Gel Ink pens last week after having letting them sit for a couple months still in their box.
I know that these are a favorite in the pen community but I'm still not totally sold on them.
Overall though, I am satisfied. One thing to note is that I've titled the post as 0.28mm even though the box says 0.3mm.
I tested the black in Hi-Tec-C next to my 0.28 Uni-ball Signo and my 0.38 Uni-ball Jetstream. As I expected, the line made by the Hi-Tec-C was more close to 0.28mm, so I just rounded up.



I bought the 10 color set of Hi-Tec-C gel ink pens a while back from a Maido Stationary Store.  They were on sale though and I ended up paying roughly the same price that Jetpens.com sells this same set, which is $32. The colors included in the set are: red, orange, yellow, green, light blue, blue, violet, pink, brown, and black. In this review, I will focus on black, blue, and red ink. Check back soon for the review of the non-standard colors.
The Hi-Tec-C pens are very simple in their look. Their clear plastic bodies showcases the ink inside. The tip of the cap and bottom of the barrels are colored the same as the ink. I really like the colored dots on the the pen cap next to the simple Hi-Tec-C logo -- its cute. 


There are a few drawbacks to this pen. 
The barrel is made of plastic, as is the grip. So, this pen is not ideal for long periods of writing, like essay exams or taking notes for a lecture heavy class. If this is a real problem for you, there are always those soft or rubber grips you can slip onto a pen or pencil. Or actually, there is a line of Hi-Tec-C pens that have a grip.  The downside to those are that they are only sold in black, blue, and red.

Another thing that irks me about Pilot's Hi-Tec-C Gel Ink Pen, is the pen's tip.

The tip is incredibly small in comparison to other pens that I've used. My normal handwriting is cursive, so if I'm not putting enough pressure on the point while writing with the Hi-Tec-C there is a very faint, thin line connecting all my words. It's especially noticeable when I dot my i's and cross my t's. A little frustrating because it makes my very small handwriting look messy -- which it definitely is not! But the tips can be fragile, so I'm always afraid that putting too much pressure on the point might break it. 

These are also capped...I'm not a huge fan of capped pens.


As for the Hi-Tec-C's writing ability, I like it...mostly.




It took a couple lines of writing before the ink would flow smoothly. Even after that, the tips scratched against the paper still. The line it lays down is very fine and nice once the ink "gets started".   

A few reviews that I've seen mention that their Hi-Tec-C just stops working even though the barrel is full of ink. Though I have not yet encountered this problem, I hope that I never will. 

If you are thinking of getting yourself a Pilot Hi-Tec-C, I'd say go for it. 
Though they are one of the more expensive gel ink pens I own, at $3.00-4.00 per pen, the Pilot Hi-Tec-C is a very popular choice among pen enthusiasts.
They come in a variety of colors and in four different point sizes (0.25mm, 0.3mm, 0.4mm, & 0.5mm); I'm sure one of them can end up as your favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment