Friday, February 21, 2014

Review: Pilot Neo-Gel, Gel Ink Roller Ball Pen - 0.7mm

a


Overall Look 7
Writing Smoothness 5
Overall Value 6
Overall Rating 6

I found a dozen of these pens in my room and figured I've test them out in a review.
Since I found these in an unmarked box, mostly untouched, I don't believe that I had bought them myself. (otherwise, I would have used them already! hah)  My guess is that someone in my family or a friend bought these and gave them to me for whatever reason.  But anyway, back to the review. 
At first glance, I was not that impressed with these pens. 
In comparison to my other pens, which also have clear barrels, there is just something about the Pilot Neo-Gel that is unappealing to me. 

Maybe its the colored plastic of the caps.  Maybe its the caps themselves (the curve of the clip bothers me a bit). Whatever it is exactly, I would not have picked these up if I was browsing the pen section at an office supply store.
One of the first things I noticed when writing with the Pilot Neo-Gel pen was a strange scratching sound.
It doesn't happen every time I write, but it happens more often than not. It's probably because it is a roller ball pen.
Aside from the scratching noise, in my normal cursive handwriting, this pen does not cut it. 

It may be partly because when I write, I don't put much pressure on the point but even when printing the ink skips or does not lay down a solid line. 

For a 0.7mm point, I knew it was going to be thicker than I normally write with, but for some reason the lines made with the Pilot Neo-Gel seem bigger.
Like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who bought these.
But Looking online, these pens are available in 12-count boxes for $13. 
Not a bad price, but I would not spend my money on them.  

I definitely won't be using these to take notes or anything.
The Pilot Neo-Gel is the kind of pen I would lend out to people that I knew would not return it to me. 

That is how much I dislike this pen.
But if you like gel ink pens and are have a habit of losing pens frequently, these pens aren't the worst pens you can choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment