Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Review: Uni-Ball Roller™ Roller Ball Pen - 0.5mm



Overall Look 8
Writing Smoothness 7
Overall Value 9
Overall Rating 8


I found a box of these in my room. I haven't used them in a while, but they were my go-to pens a couple years ago -- long before I started using Japanese pens.

However, the Uni-ball Roller was not an instant favorite for me.
I did like that the pen had a simple and sleek design, and was thin enough to fit comfortably in my pencil case, which at the time was much smaller. 
I also liked that the pen wrote smoothly with any type of paper I used -- just as it advertised on the box. 



But what I didn't like was how unbearably inky the pens were for the first few uses.
Though this wasn't the case with all the pens in the box, it was a good number of them.
The ink would bleed through and blot on the paper while writing. 
Often, it would look like the lines were far thicker than the 0.5mm the box claimed. 

The ink bleed through would eventually stop after enough use, leaving a nice, bold line without skipping!
 


Aside from black, Uni-ball Roller pens are also available in blue, red, and green ink.
And for you ink lovers that prefer a larger point size, Uni-Ball Roller pens can be bought in 0.7mm points.

Another great aspect about these pens is that the ink is smear free -- which is often not the case with my other pens. 

Major office supply chains carry these pens in 12 count boxes.
The cheapest price I found online was at Staples. They sell the box of dozen pens for $8.89; with each individual pen costing $0.75. 

Hopefully not all Uni-Ball Roller pens start out as inky as mine were.
Let me know if you've ever used these pens before and had the same experience!

Either way, I think these pens are worth the cost.
If you've been looking for a new pen for your everyday writing, I'd definitely consider the Uni-ball Roller!

No comments:

Post a Comment